Reading Room Committee Meeting

Monday 28th May 2012 7.30pm


Attending: Hazel Chalmers (Acting Chair), Richard Heslop, Doreen, Jordan, Ada Blackburn, Judy Campbell, Lou Leonard, Jean Docherty, Vanessa Saunders, Sue Proctor, Georgina Harper, Sally.

Apologies: : Neville Gray (Chair), Pat Stott,


Item no

Subject/Discussion

Action

1.

Minutes of last meeting :

  • Agreed




2.

Agenda

  1. Film Club - Louise Leonard is still waiting to hear from Lucy at the Queens Hall. The last film before the summer holidays is June 22nd. Funding will probably not be available from September 2012. Hazel Chalmers suggested Lottery Funding.

  2. Booking Secretary – The committee welcome back Hazel Fulton as Booking Secretary.





3.

REPORTS

GF Report

  • Everything is currently going well. RH collaborating with Prudhoe Town Council.

  • Peter Grant (BBC Newcastle/Look North) will open the Fair.

  • Georgina will ask Eric to put the GF on the pew sheet.

  • Robson Printers will print the programmes

  • Adult Category for fancy dress was agreed

Chair’s Report (as read by Hazel Chalmers)

  • External painting of RR – Lenlee completed the repairs to the woodwork and painting is well advanced. It was necessary to arrange scaffolding as health and safety considerations prevent working at height from ladders, especially from the public pavement. Paul Leonard arranged this and the cost is around £375 which includes a £100 fee from the Council for the relevant permit to allow scaffolding to be erected on the pavement. The invoice will come direct to us.

  • Refurbishment of the RR – we have received a letter from the Parish Council congratulating the committee on the work undertaken. Those committee members who were principally involved are to be congratulated.

  • Publicity – at our last meeting nothing had appeared in the Courant with regard to the Grand Re-opening. The following week a substantial article appeared and thanks go to those who were interviewed and provided information.

  • Licensing – since the last meeting I have submitted the relevant forms (and cheque for the fee of £23) to Northumberland CC. This is to remove Alan Morton and replace him by “The Committee” with regard to licencing. This was recommended when David Grenfell of NCC attended our meeting in March. To date I have not received the new licence.

  • Playing Fields Ovilympics – we assisted with organisation of a jumble sale to raise funds for the Ovilympics and the sum of around £450 was raised. Many thanks for the efforts of committee members and particularly to Doreen. The quid pro quo is that Phil’s band of helpers have agreed to assist at the Goose fair.

  • Goose Fair - Others will report on the Goose fair and in particular the co-operation with Prudhoe in relation to the Olympic Torch. I am sure everyone has seen the interest this is generating on TV so hopefully we can get as many of the visitors to Prudhoe down to the Goose fair afterwards.

  • Handyman – I have not yet drafted a job description. Lights in main hall – Paul Rock is on hold as his wife is expecting a baby and he could not plan his work.

Treasurer’s Report

  • Details of the RR Bank Accounts were given including monies in/out. These were agreed and signed by Jean/Neville.

  • Balance in Lloyds 30/04/12 (A/C 646) - £10,403.88

  • Balance in Lloyds 28/05/12 (A/C 646) - £9656.54

  • Balance in Lloyds 30/04/12 (A/C 124) - £553.94

  • Bal Northern Rock 30/04/12 £9.69

Booking Secretary’s Report

  • May Invoices have been sent

  • Income will probably reduce over the next few months due to ‘Summer cancellations’, holidays etc.



GFC






NG
















4.

A.O.B

  1. The goose – spruced and ready to go.

  2. Gas bottles for Singing Hinnies – JD will get more. Sue Proctor suggested ‘Camping on the Tyne’ at Mickley.

  3. First Aid - New box is in the cupboard.

  4. Social Events

Ceilidh - 22nd September

Quiz – Sat 20th October

Christmas Fair – Sunday 25th November

Jumble Sale – Sat 24th November (set up Fri 23rd 5-8pm)

Village Show – every 2 years?

  1. It was reported by Melissa that all the bin bags have disappeared. DJ will bring some down to the RR.

  2. Neville needs to prepare a Chairman’s Report for the AGM on 30th July which will be sent to the Charity Commission.








PS

JS






NG

5.

Date of Next Meeting

Monday 25th June 2012 at 7.30pm












RRCM 28/05/2012 Page 3 of 3