Ovingham Reading Room Committee


Minutes of meeting held on Monday 19th March 2018


Present: Doreen, Lorraine, Georgina and Debbie


1. Apologies for absence: Neville, Sally, Louise, Chris and Dean


2. Minutes of meeting on 26th February 2018: these were agreed to be a true record.


3. Matters arising from the minutes:

i) Spare glass for fire extinguishers: awaiting report


ii) New oven: this had been ordered and paid for, awaiting delivery

iii) DVD player: Dave Proctor has been to look at the audio-visual equipment. He thinks the fault lies with the dvd player and has taken it away to confirm whether that is the case. He will ensure that our equipment is ready for Friday’s film club


iv)Review of film licence extension possibilities: Chris has investigated this with Annette from the Queen’s Hall, and she has agreed to extend our licence to 12 films per year (currently 11) at the subsidised rate of £52 per film, but any further showings would have to be paid for at the full rate of £99.


v) New Data Protection requirements: to follow up next time


vi) Proposed purchase of new china and glass: Chris has bought the new china, and the purchase of new glasses is in hand


vii) Piano keys:Jim Miller has agreed to get another key cut, and we agreed that it should be kept on a hook on the back of the cleaner’s cupboard. Until that’s ready, the key will be kept by Hazel Chalmers


4. Update on Reading Room maintenance /safety actions


i) New curtains: the material for these has been ordered and delivered, and the curtains are in the process of being made up


ii) Progress with pebbledash painting: Richard Loughead hasn’t brought the paint back yet, but the weather isn’t suitable at present.


iii) Arrangements for removal of mortar behind gravel bin and future lime treatment: ongoing - to be carried out in better weather, as arranged with Dillon earlier.


iv) Thermostats: Tim Allsopp has carried out the work on these


5. Chair's report: not available in the absence of the chairman


6. Booking Secretary's report

Debbie circulated her report of the regular and one-bookings in February, which raised an income of £658. By the end of March there will have been a party, a fundraising concert, a yoga training weekend, film club and a 10-day exclusive booking for the pantomime. There are 5 advance bookings for April.

The report is attached with the minutes.



7. Treasurer's Report

Chris had sent his report, which showed that our total bank balance is now £22 780 (up from £21 539 last month)



8. Monthly Planner actions:


i) Emergency lighting check – carried out and found to be working.


ii) Review of Melissa’s contract: we had agreed to postpone this for the time being. Sally spoke to Melissa again last week about her specific jobs, including emptying out the fridge every Friday. Debbie has now posted a notice about this on the fridge and will ensure that regular users know that they mustn’t leave food in the fridge from now on. This will avoid a problem for Melissa, and also ensure that groups wanting to use the fridge temporarily for an event involving food won’t find that it’s full of old food.


9. AOB.


i) Coats left in the Reading Room: Debbie will put information about these on “What’s On in Ovingham” and if not claimed they will go to the jumble sale.


ii) Jumble Sale: This is taking place from 10 am until 1 pm on Saturday April 21st, with sorting and preparation on the preceding Friday evening from 6 pm and on Saturday from 9 am.


iii) Fire Extinguisher beside fire doors in main hall: this cannot be hung on its bracket at present as the backing board is coming away from the wall (Debbie will ask Chris if he can arrange for it to be looked at)



10. Date of next meeting: April 30th 2018