Ovingham Reading Room Committee

Minutes of ordinary committee meeting

Tuesday 9th July 2019

Present: Neville Gray, Doreen Jordon, Vera Hepple, Lorraine White, Marion Lewis, Dean Lewis, Chris Lindsay, Georgina Harper and Debbie Reed.

  1. Apologies for Absence: Sally Dobson.



  1. Minutes of meeting on 3rd June 2019: these were accepted as a true record and signed off by the Chairman.



  1. Matters arising from the minutes but not on the agenda: None.



  1. Update on Reading Room maintenance/safety actions:



  1. Insurance policy re Toddlers. Neville passed information on Reading Room insurance to Debbie to give to Jessica, and pointed out that there is an excess of £250 per claim.

  2. Faulty urn: Marion has descaled this and it’s working effectively again.



  1. Chair’s Report: Nothing to report.



  1. Treasurer’s report: Chris explained a couple of queries about the annual accounts, and it was agreed that they could now be passed to Mary Jones to be audited. The balance in our current account has gone back up to £6 451.

  1. Booking Secretary’s Report: Debbie passed her report round. May’s income from bookings had been £875. (June’s will be £488)



  1. Goose Fair feedback: Neville circulated a review of the whole GF process, and the final financial position, and Chris circulated a detailed financial account at the meeting.. We used these as a basis for our discussion.

All informal feedback had been extremely positive, from both stall-holders and visitors. Chris proposed that the GF sub-committee should also seek feedback from the many helpers, by setting up a GF sub-committee debrief meeting. (The AGM format suggested below may make this unnecessary).



Suggestions for improvement included: a better sound system which would enable the proclamation and announcements to be heard on all sides, and a van selling drinks only, rather than a combination of food and drinks, in order to reduce queuing time. (It may be that we can offer a tea tent ourselves next time).

There was a discussion about payment for the extra entertainment in the lower field, which was booked before the cost of £350 had been agreed by the GF Committee and had been paid for by Ovi-Fun: we appreciated that Ovi-Fun brought great benefit to the GF by providing free activities for children throughout the afternoon, so Vera proposed that the bar proceeds of £621 be split between the RR and Ovi-Fun, and that Chris send a cheque for £310.50 to Ovi-Fun. This proposal was seconded by Lorraine and passed by the committee..Doreen commented that a budget for the event had been presented to the GF sub-committee and updated as time went on and should have been followed. If Ovi-Fun were to agree to provide activities on a future occasion the representative on the sub-committee should ensure the agreed budget is adhered to so as to ensure such a situation does not arise again.



  1. AGM 29th July: It was decided that we wouldn’t hold an ordinary meeting after the AGM, but would advertise it as an opportunity to bring further comments about the Goose Fair to the committee after the business of the AGM had been concluded. We agreed to provide drinks and nibbles. The AGM will be advertised on all outside boards/shop/RR/White Swan and in Village Notes, as well as in “What’s on in Ovingham”.



  1. Quiz: After conversation with Pat about her other commitments and the date of the PTA Quiz, it has been decided to put back our next quiz to November (available dates are 8th, 15th or 22nd). Debbie will discuss this with Pat. (It’s 15th.)



  1. Monthly Planner actions:



i) emergency lighting check: carried out



ii) annual review of cleaning contract: as Sally wasn’t at the meeting, Doreen is going to talk to both Sally and Melissa in order that progress can be made on this issue.



12. AOB:



i) PAT testing: Chris will contact all user groups in the coming week to arrange for their equipment to be tested over the summer. The Drama Group have made their own arrangements for PAT testing on the morning of August 24th.



ii) Neville’s resignation: Neville announced that he will be resigning from his post of Chairman and Trustee at the AGM. We thanked him for all his hard work over the years (8 as committee member, of which 7 as Chair).



13. Date of next meeting (AGM): Monday 29th July 2019 at 7.00 pm.